Our Story

Image to show the owners of The Lansbury, Garath Jackson and Alison Jackson

Since moving to Whitby in June 2017, we have worked hard to re-establish The Lansbury Guest House as a fully trading B&B for visitors to the town. This is our first venture into B&Bs and we are striving to create a welcoming, comfortable and friendly guest house. We are pleased that this has been what our guests have been telling us in their reviews, in these our early stages. We are committed to providing rooms of a high standard and a nourishing breakfast to set guests up for their day in the beautiful historic town or where ever their travels may take them.

History of the house

The house was built in 1884 and was officially registered as a guest house in 1988, but had been trading long before properties needed to register with the local authority. The West Cliff [Estate] area of Whitby was built specifically for guest accommodation from the 1840’s following the development of rail travel to Whitby by George Hudson.

Hudson’s railway link to Whitby opened up the town as a favourite destination for large numbers of factory workers from the West Riding and beyond. Day trips became possible and affordable. Longer stay holidays were becoming popular too.

Guest houses and hotels were developed on the West Cliff and Hudson had the Khyber Pass engraved into its face to transport the building materials for the development of his Royal Crescent.

It can be noted though, that the crescent is only “half built”. Its full development was cut short at a time when Hudson simply ran out of money.

Recent changes

The Lansbury has undergone many changes and developments since the last owners took over the house in 2004. However, since we took over, all rooms have been updated and modernised including new carpets, mattresses and soft furnishings for the 2019 season, redecoration of Rooms 7 & 8, painting of communal areas and upgrades to WiFi and HD TV.

We hope you’ll enjoy your stay with us.

Garath & Alison Jackson
(Owners)